The Day of the Open House/Showings
This is it! You’re selling your current home, and it’s time to let people in to see the goods. How your home appears to prospective buyers can make or break the sale, and can potentially put extra dollars in your pocket.
One thing to remember is that your home as you’ve been living in it is NOT the same as your home, the showcase. You need to present your home in its’ best possible light. While you’ll find many opinions out there about whether or not to keep your personal/family photos in view, for instance, all will agree that your main job is to set the scene so that instead of seeing what it’s like for you in your current home, you help prospective buyers to picture themselves in their new home.
Here are a few key things you can do last-minute to help your house shine:
- Open all curtains and blinds to let in as much light in as possible.
- Ensure all floors are swept or vacuumed.
- De-clutter all surfaces. Do a last-minute run around the home and put away any clutter. A box or large storage container kept under the bed or in a closet is a great way to store all these things quickly, where they can later be retrieved.
- Straighten beds and towels in bathrooms (you may want to keep a separate set that you put out just for showings).
- Wipe out all sinks with a great-smelling cleanser. ALL sinks, tubs, and taps should be wiped to a spotless sparkle.
- For an additional touch of scent, consider keeping a pot of water, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves ready (in the oven is a quick place to stash this) to simmer on the stove for a few minutes before each showing. Alternatively, lightly scented candles in vanilla or apple cinnamon, or put out fresh potpourri.
- Turn on all lights in the home, day or night. This creates nice yellow light and gives the impression of warmth and that you have nothing to hide.
- Play soft music in the background.
- Turn down the volume on your answering machine so people will not hear any messages being left while you are out.
- Any pets should be taken elsewhere, and you should ensure nobody will be home, so potential purchasers can feel comfortable and free to comment honestly to their/your Realtor.
If you’d like more personalized information – for instance, an estimate on your home’s current value and suggestions for preparing for sale – please contact me any time! 416-930-4388 or email@example.com ~ Shauna Arthurs, Royal LePage Your Community